Sunday 24 January 2016

The Art of Juche Kyuksul - Part 01 (2013)


The art of Juche Kyuksul
DPR Korean Martial Arts | 조선 무도

Juche Kyuksul is a North Korean military art of self-defence techniques which teaches how one can defend himself or his comrades without being hurt; and at the same time, strike at the enemy with high speed and accuracy in order to annihilate the enemy completely. It is a similar art to martial arts such as Taekwon-Do and the likes, but the most important difference is that Juche Kyuksul is not for games. I discovered it among my curriculum at the Kim Il Sung Military University during my studies in 1995. Generally, the training has seriously enhanced my ability to carry out my work in my country”

I have been interested in this art ever since I saw a question about it on a martial arts forum a few years ago. Then, I couldn't find any other reference. Late in 2012, I caught up online with a friend of mine, who learned the art, to ask more:

Can you tell me briefly about your connection to the art?
“I am an Army Officer in my country. I went to Kim-il sung Military University to study Military Tactics, Juche Kyuksul and other specialities. I was there for 5 months in 1995.”

Most people know Taekwon-Do. Is Juche Kyuksul different to Taekwon-Do?
“Yes, Kyuksul is for the millitary training.”


The same as the Korean bodyguards train?
“Yes, I was a bodyguard to the fomer president of my country. I was trained by the Koreans.”

I must ask, Jumping over cars?
“Yes, of Course.”

Have you also learned some Taekwon-Do Self Defense?
“Yes, I know Taekwon-Do well, for self defence and protection.”

But, it is true that Taekwon-Do is not used for millitary purposes?
“You are very right. That's why I told you our's was Juche Kyuksul for total anahilation of the enemy. There are one thousand and one techniques in this art.”

Is Kyuksul is only in DPRK? How big/popular is this art?
“It's the name our masters in Korea told us; that being, it is not for games, but it is for self defence and total eradication of the enemy. So you can see how dangerous it can be - no jokimg around.
It is similar to Taekwon-Do, but without the sympathy."


(if you know) how many people practice Juche Kyuksul?
"It starts as a section of troops, then it graduates to platoon strength.
Everyone in the army learns it – it is part of the curriculum."

There are nearly 1000,000 active duty soldiers, and 7 million reserve women and men soldiers in the Korean army.
"I happened to trained with that sizable number too; very interesting."

How many intenrational people practice Juche Kyuksul?
I am aware of alliance countries such as Kenya, Nigeria, Libya, amongst others.
"Honestly, I can't be precise as to how many, but they are a large number."


Where exactly do you train in this art? is there a specific Dojang in the Kim Il Sung Military University?
"Yes, there's a gym and a field."

What are the Korean instructors like? (Is it anything like Taekwon-Do Instruction)

"They are more dedicated and aggressive."


I mean to say, do they wear a martial uniform and belt, (and yell loudly in Korean)?
"They do not wear a uniform all the time; most times they wear a half-uniform."

What did you do in your spare time?
"I went on excursions; I visited places like the Mangyondae Children's Palace and Mount Kumgangsan."

---

My friend only speaks well of Korea. He remembers his time fondly, and treasures the memories and friends made there. Naturally, no photos were allowed to be taken during training, however, we can catch a glimps into this once-in-a-lifetime experience through the leisure photos. Now, he is a dedicated soldier now pursing honourable efforts in his army alongside the United Nations with humanitarian aide in Africa. I wish to thank our comrade for his time and invaluable help in the writing of this interview, and I wish him all the best for the future.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Friend.

    First, Thank you very very very much! For share with us your experience.

    WTF-Kuk Ki Won Taekwondo its for games.

    ITF - Chang Hun Ryu insn't for games.

    ReplyDelete